Items: 0 Price: £0    
view cart

Antique Rifles and Long Guns

Previous 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next Page 8 of 17

EXTREMELY RARE & UNIQUE, 1856-1864, Colt 1855 Patent Root’s Side Hammer .56 Calibre 5 Shot Cap & Ball Revolving Saddle Carbine Rifle With Saddle Ring & Victorian London Proofs Prize Rifle In 1866 To ‘Lc.Cl. S Moneypenny 19th Middlesex Rifle Volunteers - 16318
The Colt revolving rifles were early repeating rifles produced by the Colt's Manufacturing Company from 1856 until 1864. The design was essentially similar to revolver type pistols, with a rotating cylinder that held five or six rounds in a variety of calibres from .36 to .64 inches. In 1855, with his Model 1855 patent, Colt introduced a spur-trigger revolver that featured a fully enclosed cylinder. These handguns were officially named Side hammer revolvers, but they also were known as "Root" revolvers after Elisha K. Root, who at that time was employed as Colt's factory superintendent and Chief Engineer. These ‘Root’ side hammers are found on Colt 1855 patent revolving rifles. A combination of Colt revolving pistols and revolving rifles were used on the Pony Express by the eight men who guarded the dangerous run between Independence, Missouri, and Santa Fe. When doubts were expressed about the ability of these eight men to deliver the letters on this run reliably, the Missouri government declared that "these eight men are ready in case of attack to discharge 136 shots without having to reload. We have no fears for the safety of the mail." All mail deliveries on this route were completed safely. The U.S. Government had purchased 765 Colt revolving carbines and rifles prior to the Civil War. Many of these were shipped to southern locations and ended up being used by the Confederacy. After the war began, the Union purchased many more rifles and carbines. Sources disagree over the exact number purchased, but approximately 4,400 to 4,800 were purchased in total over the length of the war. The weapon performed superbly in combat, seeing action with the 21st Ohio Volunteer Infantry Union forces at Snodgrass Hill during the Battle of Chickamauga during the American Civil War.The volume of fire from this weapon proved to be so useful that the Confederate forces were convinced that they were attacking an entire division, not just a single regiment. This is an extremely rare, Colt 1855 Patent ‘Root’s Side Hammer .56 Calibre 5 Shot Cap & Ball Revolving Saddle Carbine Rifle. It is in excellent condition. It has a round steel barrel which is 21" long and the carbine size rifle is 39 ¾” overall length. The bore is clean with crisp rifling. It has a 5 shot revolving cylinder and the weapon’s single action firing mechanism functions perfectly. The frame is fitted with a steel saddle ring and it has the correct under lever captive ram rod which featured on the Colt pistols of the era. It has a brass blade fore sight and block ‘v’ notch rear sight graduated to 100 yards. The block has 2 folding ‘v’ notch leaf sights graduated to 300 and 600 yards. The cylinder & frame have Victorian London Black Powder proofs. The top of the frame is marked with Colt’s name and USA address and the cylinder is marked ‘Patented Sept 10th 1855 (55 is obscured by Victorian proof mark)’. The underside of the barrel is numbered ‘11784’. The original walnut stock is undamaged. It has a curved steel butt plate and brass trigger guard with extended tang with matching number ‘11784’. Uniquely, the stock is mounted with a silver presentation plate engraved ‘19th Middx R.V (British Army 19th Battalion Middlesex Rifle Volunteer Regiment) Presented By C** H.H. Williams Won By Lc.Cl. S Moneypenny). The price for superb piece of firearms history includes UK delivery. NB As an antique cap and ball firearm no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of collection or display. The price includes UK delivery. Sn 16318
£9,750.00

MASSIVE, C1850 Leech & W.Ling Gunmakers Marked 8 Bore Percussion Muzzle Loading Wildfowling Bank / Punt Gun With Walnut Stock & Ramrod. A 1010 - A 1010
William John Leech was an English Gunmaker recorded as having premises at Castle Alley 1813-14 & Union Street Whitechapel C1817. William Ling (born 1793) was an English London based gunsmith recorded at a number of London addresses between 1820 and 1863 (see pages 180 & 178 of British Gunmakers Vol 1 by Brown). This is a massive percussion wildfowling gun made C1850 signed by Leech & W. Ling. This size of gun (5 feet 1inch overall length) were lay on riverbanks and sand dunes to support the heavy weight of the gun when hunting wild fowl or mounted on punts. It is 8 bore and has a 43 ½” round steel barrel. Its bore has light staining consistent with age and use. It has walnut stock with chequered wrist & polished horn fore stock cap. The wood has just light bumps and bruises consistent with age and use and is impressed ‘W.Ling’ indicating that the stock was supplied by the gunmaker William Ling. The wood has heavy brass mounts and heavy brass butt plate. The action plate and barrel block are signed ‘Leech’ (most likely William John Leech) It has a heavy steel Dolphin hammer. The barrel has a small brass bead foresight. The piece is complete with its original wood ramrod with brass end cap. Its cocking & firing actions work perfectly. The price for this massive fowling piece includes UK delivery. NB As an antique percussion firearm no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of collection or display. A 1010
£2,750.00

Victorian 1840- 1863 William Ling, Jermyn Street, London, 6 Bore Percussion Muzzle Loading Single Barrel Wildfowling Shot Gun. A 1009 - A 1009
William Ling (born 1793) was an English London based gunsmith recorded at a number of London addresses between 1820 and 1863. He is recorded as working at Jermyn Street between 1840 & 1863. This is a quality made percussion wildfowling gun by William Ling Jermyn Street. It is 6 bore and has a 36” round, browned, steel barrel. It measures 53” overall length. The smooth bore has just light staining consistent with age & use. It has all original undamaged walnut furniture with chequered wrist . The top of the wrist is inlaid with void silver escutcheon. The metal work has tooled foliate decoration. It has a steel butt plate. The action plate is signed ‘Wm Ling London’ amongst foliate decoration. The barrel is signed ‘Wm Ling Gun Maker Jermyn St London’. It has a heavy Dolphin hammer. The barrel has a small brass bead foresight. The piece is complete with its original wood ramrod with brass end cap. Its cocking & firing actions work perfectly. The price includes UK delivery. NB As an antique percussion firearm no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of collection or display. A 1009
£2,450.00

SOLD SOLD (16/10) CRIMEAN WAR 1856 Dated British WD Enfield Tower Pattern 1853 .577 Calibre 2 Band Muzzle Loading Percussion Carbine. Sn 16238 - 16238
This pattern of Carbine were used by the British Military between 1853 into the 1870's. This is a very good Crimean war dated, example of the British 1853 Pattern Carbine. The side plate is stamped With Queens Crown (Victoria) and dated '1856' together with ‘Tower’ (Enfield). It has an excellent all original walnut stock, brass butt plate, brass fore end block & brass trigger guard with extended tang. The wood is impressed with ‘WD & Broad Arrow’ mark together with ‘2 NEW’ most likely a Regiment or Unit mark (unknown). The rifle has its original steel ramrod, sling swivels, block and blade fore sight and its original flip up rear sight. The barrel’s bore has well defined rifling and just light staining consistent with age and use. The barrel has black powder proof / inspection marks. Total length is 40” with a 23 ¼” barrel. The cocking & firing actions work correctly. The price includes UK delivery. NB This is an antique percussion rifle and no licence is required to own it in the UK if retained as a part of a collection or display. Sn 16238
£0.00

RARE, Crimean War 1855 Dated, French Model 1853 Chatellerault Arsenal Infantry Chasseur Sharpshooter’s Muzzle loading .700 Minie Ball Calibre Percussion Rifle With Brass Hilt Chatellerault Arsenal Yataghan Sword Bayonet & Scabbard. Sn 16225 - 16225
This is a rare and desirable French Minie Rifle of the Crimean War, together with its correct and well fitting bayonet. It is a Model 1853 Infantry Rifle, as issued to and used by the elite Chasseur Units in the Crimea. The rifle is dated 1855, the middle of the Crimean War, and was made at the French Royal Manufactory at Chatellerault. It has a flat Minie sight, graduated to 1,100 metres, and has the same four grooves and similar bore as the longer and more cumbersome British issue Minie rifle, 0.702 inches (17.8mm). The bore of the 34” barrel has well defined rifling and just light staining consistent with age and use. It measures 49 ½” overall length. The metal work has even patina is dated 1855, signed by the Chatellerault Arsenal and has proof marks. The metal is numbered ‘523’ which is repeated on the all original wood stock which has just light bumps and bruises to be expected. The barrel has the correct military bayonet lug, sling swivels and it has its original steel ram rod. The rifle’s cocking & firing actions work correctly with a nice tight action. The rifle comes with an original French sword bayonet. The steel fullered single edged ‘T’ back Yataghan blade has staining consistent with age and is 22 ¾” length. It has the correct steel hooked quillon with muzzle ring. It has a ribbed brass grip with flat spring and steel push button. The blade is marked with the name of the French Chatellerault Arsenal in French. It is complete with the correct steel scabbard. The scabbard has no dents and has its original fixed strap bar. The price for this historic piece includes UK delivery. NB. As an antique percussion rifle no licence is required to own this weapon in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 16225
£1,295.00

English, C1760’s David Collumbell London Private Purchase WD Marked Brass Barrelled 4 Bore Flintlock Blunderbuss With Monogram Or Regiment/ County Mark ‘CH’ (Cheshire) & WD Arrow’. Sn 16165 - 16165
David COLLUMBELL (also recorded as COLUMBELL) in 1712 was apprenticed to Gerrett Johnson Gunmaker at King Street, Westminster, London and is recorded at Parliament Street, Westminster, 1734-56. C1756, he is then recorded as a Gunmaker to Ordnance & in 1761 to the East India Company (see Howard L. Blackmore Gunmakers Of London, 1350-1850). This an excellent original brass barrelled flintlock blunderbuss made by Collumbell most likely in the 1760’s when he was making weapons for the British Board of Ordnance & EIC. It is 31" overall with a bell mouth 15 ¼” brass cannon barrel which is 4 bore at the muzzle. The smooth bore has staining & residue consistent with age. The top of the barrel is signed ‘London’ & it has crisp black powder proofs. It has a plain steel flat lock signed ‘Collumbell’, Swan neck hammer fitted with flint, original undamaged, Walnut full stock and quality brass mounts including ornately engraved butt plate tang, decorated flat side plate, trigger guard with extended tang, ram rod flutes & acanthus bud finial. It also has an ornate brass stock mount with ‘CH’ & ‘arrow’ mark which is most likely the monogram of the individual who purchased this blunderbuss or Regiment / County mark and WD / Board Of Ordnance arrow mark (CH was the board of ordnance County / district mark for Cheshire). It has it's wood ram rod with brass end cap. The price for this quality blunderbuss with interesting marks worthy of further research includes UK delivery. NB As an antique flintlock weapon no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a private collection or display. Sn 16165
£2,400.00

MINT BORE, Early 1900’s Westley Richards & Co London Martini Action .300 Sherwood Extra Long (.300 Westley) Obsolete Centre Fire Calibre Target / Rook Rifle. Sn 16142 - 16142
The .300 Sherwood, also known as the .300 Extra Long and the .300 Westley, is an obsolete centre fire rifle cartridge developed by Westley Richards. The .300 Sherwood was introduced by Westley Richards in 1901 in response to W.W. Greener's .310 Cadet cartridge. The cartridge was created by lengthening the much milder .300 Rook. As expected, the first rifles chambered for it were made by Westley designated as the "Sherwood" target rifle. Later other manufacturers produced rifles in the calibre including BSA, Vickers and Francotte, whilst high end double rifles were produced by Holland & Holland and Westley Richards. This is an excellent and sought after example of the Sherwood target / rook rifle by Westley Richards. It has a 27 ½” steel barrel which has a near mint bore, clean with well defined rifling and it measures 43" overall. Its Martini Action works crisply. It has all original wood stock and fore end. It has a steel butt plate. It has a blade foresight and flip up graduated ladder rear sight. The top of the barrel are signed by the manufacturer. The breech has .300 calibre detail and Westley Richards triangle mark. The rifle is serial number ‘5818’. The price includes UK delivery. NB As an antique obsolete calibre rifle no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 16142
£975.00

1870 British Enfield Tower Snider 3 Band .577 Obsolete Calibre Service Rifle. Sn 16131 - 16131
This is an excellent example of the Enfield Snider 3 Band Rifle. The action plate is stamped With Queens Crown (Victoria) and by the manufacturer 'Tower (Enfield) 1870'. There are no discernible markings at the breech. It has excellent all original wood work, brass butt plate, fore end block and trigger guard with extended tang. The rifle also has its steel cleaning rod, ladder rear sight, block and blade fore sight and sling swivels. The barrel's bore has just light staining consistent with age & use. The rifling is crisp. The barrel is stamped with black powder proof marks. Total length is 55 ½” with a 37" barrel. The wood is numbered 2169 . The cocking & firing action works perfectly. This is an antique obsolete calibre rifle and no licence is required to own it in the UK if retained as a part of a collection or display. The price includes UK delivery. Sn 16131
£1,200.00

RARE, MINT BORE, American Civil War Era 1860-1869, Model 1865 Spencer .52 Obsolete Calibre Repeating Cavalry Carbine By Burnside Rifle Company With 7 Shot Tubular Magazine & Saddle Bar With Ring. Sn 16005 - 16005
The Spencer .52 calibre repeating rifle was designed by Christopher Spencer in 1860. It was a manually operated lever-action, repeating carbine size rifle (37 ½” overall) fed from a tube magazine. It was adopted by the Union Army, especially by the Cavalry, during the American Civil War and were manufactured by The American Burnside Rifle Co. Production began in 1860 and ended in 1869. The Spencer had an innovative 7 shot tubular magazine fed into the butt via a trap with steel latch. This is an original example in excellent condition for its age. The metal work has even patina and its original wood stock has just the knocks, bumps and bruises to be expected. The 18” barrel’s bore is near mint, clean with crisp rifling. It is fitted with a flip up rear sight and fixed fore sight together with steel saddle bar with ring. It is also fitted with single sling swivel lug, correct steel butt plate & tubular magazine with latch plate. The top of the breech is stamped very faintly stamped ‘Spencer Repeating Rifle /Pat’d March 6 1860/ Manuf’d As Prov. R.I. Burnside Fifle Co Model 1865’. The frame is numbered ‘901A’ (illustrated). The loading and firing actions work perfectly. The price for this American Civil War era carbine includes UK delivery. NB As an antique obsolete calibre weapon no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as a part of a collection or display. Sn 16005
£2,200.00

American Civil War Connections, Imperial German Potsdam Prussian State Arsenal M1809/31 .70 Calibre Muzzle Loading Percussion Rifle & Sling. Sn 16006 - 16006 / 16101
The Model 1809 Potsdam musket saw service in the Napoleonic wars. From 1831 to 1839, Prussia began large-scale conversion from flintlock to percussion circa 1839, becoming the M1809/39, but research indicates conversions may have started as early as 1831. The name "Potsdam" comes from the guns made at the Prussian State Potsdam arsenal. These weapons saw service during the American Civil War and were used by both sides during that conflict. The rifles were made in both smoothbore and rifled variants. A contract for 165,000 smooth bore & rifled Potsdam’s arrived in the USA in 1861/62 for issue to federal forces. Our Model 1809/31 Potsdam rifle is in excellent condition. It has all original wood and metal throughout. It has a 40” barrel which has a clean bore with crisp well defined rifling. The barrel has a blade fore sight and flip up rear sight. It has a bayonet bar, brass barrel bands, trigger guard with extended tang and the shoulder stock with figured cheek piece has a steel butt plate Regiment marked ‘20 LWR 8C 468’. The action plate has the Potsdam arsenal mark. The wood and metal have Imperial German inspection marks and various numbers. The rifle has its original steel cleaning rod with screw off worm. The rifle’s sling swivels are fitted with a later leather sling. The rifle’s cocking and firing actions work as they should. The price includes UK delivery. NB As an antique muzzle loading percussion rifle no licence is required to own this item if retained in a collection or display. Sn 16006
£1,475.00
Previous 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next Page 8 of 17