Items: 0 Price: £0    
view cart

Antique Rifles and Long Guns

Previous 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  Next Page 7 of 16

**MUSEUM QUALITY, MINT BORE, VERY RARE** 1863 Kammerlader Model 1851 Swedish Navy Pivoting Breech 18 Bore Percussion Rifle. Sn 17078 - 17078
These rifles adopted by the Swedish Navy in 1851 were produced by P. J. Malherbe in Belgium and in Sweden by Carl Gustaf Stads Gevärsfaktori. The rifles used a pivoting chamber breech design and had a percussion cap ignition system. The chamber pivots upwards from the front for reloading. The kammerlader was designed to use paper cartridges — a pre-measured amount of gunpowder and a lead bullet wrapped in paper — both to speed up and simplify loading the weapon. Our example has the correct pivoting breech which is raised by operating a steel lever on the side of the action. The chamber is then ready for loading and a percussion cap is placed on the nipple which is presented on the underside of the chamber. The lever is then used to re-seat the chamber ready for firing. The ringed hammer on the underside of the action is then cocked and the weapon is fired by depression of the separate trigger in the conventional way. The metal work and Walnut stock with figured cheek piece are in splendid condition suitable for Museum display. It has a 26 ¾” barrel with a near mint, bore, clean & bright with deep cut, 6 groove rifling and measures 49” overall. It has a brass butt plate, brass barrel bands, blade foresight & 'notched plate' rear sight. The barrel has Carl Gustaff ‘Crown C’ mark & other factory inspectors marks (illustrated). The wood, barrel bands, butt plate, breech cover, action tang, action block, breech lever & hammer guard are numbered ‘7’. Two screws are numbered ‘6’. The wood has inspection marks and is dated ‘1863’. The pivoting breech and firing mechanisms work correctly. The price for this rare piece of Firearms history includes UK delivery. NB as an antique obsolete calibre rifle no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 17078
£1,750.00

MINT BORE, Victorian British Board Of Ordnance 1844 Pattern Enfield Tower .650 Calibre Muzzle Loading Percussion Yeomanry Cavalry Carbine Regiment Marked ‘MYC B’ With Saddle Bar, Ring & Captive Steel Ram Rod. Sn 17075 - 17075
This is an original British 1844 dated Enfield Tower Yeomanry Cavalry Carbine in excellent condition. It has all original undamaged walnut full stock with brass butt plate, fore end block, ram rod pipe and trigger guard with extended tang. It has a heavy military percussion hammer. The action plate is marked Crown VR (Victoria Regina), ‘Tower’ (Enfield) and ‘1844’ (pattern) together with inspection mark. Its 20" barrel (36” overall) has a near mint, clean & bright smooth bore. The barrel has crisp proof marks. It has fixed rear and fore sight. It has an under barrel captive steel ramrod, steel saddle bar & ring. The butt plate tang is crisply marked ‘MYC B’ to a Militia/Yeomanry Cavalry Regiment ‘B’ Squadron and weapon number ‘61’. The wood is impressed ‘BO arrow’ (Board Of Ordnance) and ‘ICR’. The weapon cocks & dry fires perfectly. The price includes UK delivery. NB As an antique percussion Carbine no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 17075
£2,250.00

EXTREMELY RARE, 1864 American Civil War James H. Merrill’s 2nd Type 1858 / 1861 Patent .54 Calibre Single Shot Breech Loading Cavalry Carbine With Brass Furniture, Steel Saddle Bar & Ring. Sn 17044:6 - 17044:6
The Merrill carbine was a breechloader firearm designed by Baltimore, Maryland gunsmith and inventor James H. Merrill. It was one of several firearms made by Merrill in fulfillment of contracts with the Union Government during the U.S. Civil War. The carbines were produced in two versions: First Type and Second Type. The First Type included a brass patchbox in the stock. The Second Type was produced without the patch box. The carbines were in service with the Union army between 1863 and 1865. This is an original example of the 2nd type Merrill 1858 / 61 patent carbine. The metal work is undamaged and but does have large areas of even pitting. Its original wood stock has knocks, bumps and bruises to be expected. The wood is impressed with indistinct factory cartouche. The 20" barrel’s rifled bore has heavy staining and residue consistent with age and use. It measures 37” overall. The carbine is fitted with 2 leaf rear swivel sight & blade fore sight. It also has a steel saddle bar & ring. It has a brass butt plate, barrel band and trigger guard. The action plate is stamped with Merrill’s name & 1858 -1861 patent detail ‘J.H. Merrill Balto Pat July 1858 / Apl 9. May 21-28-61’ together with 1864 date (all illustrated). The carbine is serial number '18794' which is stamped on the hinged breech cover. This type 2 carbine is correctly without patch box. The weapon’s loading and firing actions work as they should. The price for this extremely rare piece of American Civil War history includes UK delivery. NB As an antique obsolete calibre weapon no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as a part of a collection or display. Sn 17044:6
£1,945.00

WW1 Era, French Military, St Etienne Arsenal Fusil Gras M80 Model 1874 (M74/80) 11mm Calibre Service Rifle Converted from Chassepot Needle Fire. Sn 17060 - 17060
This is an early breech loading French military rifle. Originally a model 1866 Chassepot needle fire rifle used during the Franco-Prussian War it was decided to extend their service life by converting them to fire the 11 x 59.5 mm brass cartridge using the Gras bolt system. The rifle was designated the Gras M80 Model 1874 (Fusil Gras M80 Modèle 1874). The Gras continued to be issued to French troops throughout WW1. This is a very good Gras rifle. The wood is all original with just knocks bumps & bruises to be expected with age and service use. It has heavy military furniture and the metal work has even patina throughout. It has a block foresight, ladder rear sight, bayonet block, steel butt plate, sling swivels & original clearing rod. It measures 51 ½” overall with a 31 ½” barrel. The bore has staining & residue consistent with age & use. The breech is marked by the St Etienne Arsenal manufacturer and 'M80 & M1874' model detail together with other numbers and inspection marks (illustrated). Its loading and firing actions work as they should. The price includes UK delivery. NB As an antique display obsolete calibre rifle no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 17060
£695.00

Victorian Era British WD & Liege Belgium Marked Snider .577 Obsolete Calibre Cavalry Carbine. Sn 16937 - 16937
This is a very good original British WD & Liege marked .577 Snider Cavalry Carbine. The Snider action was introduced to British service in 1866 and muzzle loading Enfield Carbines were converted to allow the use of the .577 calibre brass cartridge. They remained in use until the Martini Henry was introduced. This BSA & carbine has a 18 ¾” barrel (36 ½” overall). The bore is clean with crisp rifling. It has a brass butt plate and brass trigger guard. The woodwork has just the bumps & bruises to be expected with age & service use. The action plate has no visible date or manufacturer marks. The top of the breech is has a WD broad arrow mark and the barrel has post 1893 Liege ‘ELG’ mark together with other inspection marks (illustrated). The hinged breech has the correct knurled steel breech release catch. The carbine has a block and blade foresight and swivelling 3 leaf rear sight. The action is strong and works as it should. The price includes UK delivery. NB As an antique obsolete calibre weapon no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as a part of a collection or display. Sn 16937
£895.00

**MOORE BARONETCY CONNECTIONS** C1810 Irish Woodward Belfast, 2 Bore, Brass Barrelled Percussion Blunderbuss Converted From Flintlock With Integral Folding Bayonet, County Antrim Registration Mark & Inlaid Brass Stock Plate Attributed To Capt Moore - 16940
THE MOORE BARONETCY, OF MOORE LODGE, COUNTY ANTRIM, WAS CREATED IN 1932 FOR THE RT HON SIR WILLIAM MOORE, SECOND LORD CHIEF JUSTICE OF NORTHERN IRELAND. JAMES MOORE migrated from Cumberland in the reign of JAMES I and settled at Ballynacree More, parish of Ballymoney, County Antrim. The third son, SAMSON MOORE, of Rosnashane attained the rank of Captain in the Finvoy Yeomanry. Captain Moore died in 1832. His great Grandson, DR WILLIAM MOORE JP (1826-1901), of Moore Lodge, County Antrim, was High Sheriff of County Antrim, 1890, President of the King and Queen's College of Physicians in Ireland, 1883-84, King's Professor of Medicine, Trinity College, Dublin & Physician-in-Ordinary to the Queen in Ireland. This is an excellent percussion converted from flintlock Blunderbuss attributed to Captain Samson Moore and his family. It is 30” overall (with bayonet closed) with a 14” long brass cannon barrel stepped to octagonal at the breech and flared muzzle. The muzzle opening diameter is 34 mm (approx. 2 bore). It has a Dolphin hammer, nipple and drum conversion, original undamaged Walnut stock and brass mounts including butt plate with extended tang. The stock is inlaid with a large brass plate inscribed ‘ This weapon originally fitted with flintlock was the property of Samson Moore of Rosnashane a Captain in the Finvoy and Rasharkin Yeomanry about 1810 and was purchased by his great Grandson William Moore of Moore Lodge From The Reps of John O’Neill of Knockans 1901’. The trigger guard has an acanthus bud finial. The ram rod mounts are brass. The steel lock plate is signed ‘Woodward’. The top of the barrel is marked ‘Belfast’ and has crisp black powder proof marks. The butt plate has the Irish County Antrim Registration mark ‘A-N 635’ (The Irish Registration Act was passed in 1843 and lasted only a short while, until August 1846. There were 39 districts (34 counties, 4 boroughs and Dublin City) each with its own two letter prefix followed by a number). It has its original wood ramrod with horn cap and steel worm. The blunderbuss has its original integral folding bayonet mounted on top of the barrel which is retained by a spring clip at the muzzle end & sliding catch at the breech. The spring clips works correctly and the 10 ½” triangular shaped blade tapers to a pin sharp point. The weapon’s cocking & firing actions work as they should. The price for this quality Blunderbuss with connections to the Moore Baronetcy & worthy of further research includes UK delivery. NB As an antique muzzle loading weapon no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a private collection or display. Sn 16940
£2,450.00

Framed Display Board With Original Victorian Trade Labels Of The Prestigious Gunmakers James Purdey & Sons London & Later Images Of The company Premises. Sn 16851 - 16851
James Purdey founded James Purdey & Sons Limited in London, England in 1814, locating his business on Princes Street. Prior to starting out on his own, Purdey worked as head stocker for Joseph Manton, the foremost gunmaker of his time. In 1826 the company moved from the Princes Street location to Manton's former premises in Oxford Street. The founder's son, James Purdey the Younger, took over the running of the company from his father in 1858. James the Younger saw rapid change in the development and design of guns and rifles during his lifetime, essentially moving from muzzle loading flintlocks in the 1820s to breech loading hammerless ejectors by the 1880s. James the Younger was always at the forefront of advances in the design and building of his guns and rifles, and took out several patents for technical innovations over the years. Many of James the Younger's patents were adopted by other gunmakers. In 1882 the company moved from Oxford Street to new premises on the corner of South Audley Street and Mount Street, where the company remains to this day. James Purdey & Sons, specialises in high-end bespoke sporting shotguns and rifles. Purdey holds three Royal Warrants of appointment as gun and rifle makers to the British and other European royal families. The open faced, wood framed display board has original Victorian Purdey trade labels & later images of the Company premises. The trade labels and images are clean and intact & are mounted on a green felt background. The centre of the board has a void brass roundel. The frame measures 16 ½”x 11 ½” x 1 ¼”. The rear of the frame is mounted with cord for wall hanging. The price includes UK delivery. Sn 16851
£225.00

Quality Maker, Victorian C1850 W. Greener Birmingham .600” Bore Muzzle Loading Sporting / Hunting Rifle With Octagonal Barrel. Sn 16883 - 16883
The famous W.W. (William Wellington) Greener English sporting shotgun and rifle manufacturer was established in 1829 and is still in business, with a fifth generation Greener serving on its board of directors. He produced weapons under the names W. Greener & W.W. Greener. In the mid 1800’s Greener was producing firearms at the St Mary’s Works Birmingham and had Royal appointments with the British Monarchy. This is a sporting rifle by W.Greener. It has an undamaged Walnut stock. The top pf the wrist is inlaid with void shield shaped brass escutcheon. It has a 28” brown wash octagonal barrel . The bore has staining consistent with age and crisp rifling. The rifle measures 45” overall. The action has foliate scrollwork decoration and is crisply marked ‘W. Greener’. The rifle has its original steel ramrod, heavy Dolphin hammer, small brass blade fore sight & brass ‘v’ notch plate rear sight. It has a steel butt plate with extended tang and hinged trap, trigger guard with extended tang and acanthus bud finial all decorated with foliate scroll work. The fore end block is steel and the weapon is fitted with sling swivels. The weapon's loading and firing actions work as they should. The price for this rifle by a prestigious maker includes UK delivery. NB As an antique muzzle loading percussion weapon no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 16883
£1,200.00

VERY RARE, LARGE, Persian 1779 Dated & Maker / Owner Named 15 Bore Muzzle Loading Toe Lock Musket Ornately Decorated With Inlaid Silver & Red Coral. Sn 16870. - 16870
This is an excellent, very rare to find, Persian Toe lock musket. It has a 1.31 metre long steel barrel with hand tooled silver barrel bands. The smooth bore has staining and residue consistent with age and use. It measures a large 1.73 metres overall length. The Gilt metal Toe lock action is complete and functions as it should, operated by a ball button lever on the underside of the stock. The underside of the action has Persian script which translates to ‘1779’ date and unknown original maker’s / owners name (illustrated in image 2). Its wood stock is intricately decorated with tooled silver plates and inlaid with pieces of red coral. It has an ornately tooled brass butt cap. The wood and metal have the wear and patina to be expected of a native Indian weapon of its age. The price for this impressive piece includes UK delivery. NB As an antique muzzle loading weapon no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a collection or display. Sn 16870
£2,950.00

C1800 Edwards Dublin Castle Registered (DU-5928) Brass Barrelled Muzzle Loading Flintlock Coaching Blunderbuss. Sn 16867 - 16867
The Irish Registration Act was passed in 1843 and lasted only a short while,until August 1846. There were 39 districts (34 counties, 4 boroughs and Dublin City) each with its own two letter prefix followed by a number. This an excellent Dublin Castle Registered percussion coaching Blunderbuss signed ‘Edwards Dublin’ made C1800 and later Dublin Castle Registered sometime between 1843 & 1846. It is 30" overall with a 1 ½” muzzle width bell mouth, 14 ½” long Brass Cannon barrel stepped to octagonal at the breech. The top of the barrel is stamped with ‘Dublin Castle’ registration mark ‘DU-5928’ and ‘Dublin’. The barrel has crisp proof marks and the smooth bore has staining & residue consistent with age and use. It has a steel lock engraved ‘Edwards’. Its original Walnut stock has brass mounts including butt plate stamped with matching Dublin castle registration number, trigger guard with extended tang and acorn finial and ram rod flutes. The stock has period carved initials ‘ME’ possibly of the coachman who owned this gun and has a single sling swivel. It has its wood ram rod with brass end cap and it cocks and dry fires as it should. The price includes UK delivery. NB As an antique flintlock weapon no licence is required to own this item in the UK if retained as part of a private collection or display. Sn 16867.
£2,450.00
Previous 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  Next Page 7 of 16